Thursday, February 3, 2022

yum update failing on Google Cloud VM

 I use google cloud's smallest VM for hosting my own DNS servers.  I use the f1-micro instances that are very limited in memory and cpu, but cheap!

During a regular yum update I received the following error and my instance (VM) failed to reboot.

During the Cleanup part of yum update the google-cloud-sdk gave me this error:

/var/tmp/rpm-tpm.rdz2f9: line 4: 11963 Killed gcloud components post-process --force-recomplile warning: %postrun(google-cloud-sdk-360.0.0-1.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 137 Non-fatal POSTUN scriptlet failure in rpm package google-cloud-sdk-360.0.0-1.x86_64

I read on this post - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40163733/upgrading-google-cloud-sdk-fails-on-configure that this person had the same issue to due using the smallest GCP instance size, but they chose to stop some processes to free up memory before they did an update.

My resolution was to first build a new VM with a previous snapshot of the VM before it was messed up by the update.

Just for good measure I did some yum cleanup with yum-utils before anything else, then update the single google-cloud-sdk, before updating the rest without error.

sudo yum install yum-utils

sudo package-cleanup --dupes --noplugins

sudo yum clean all

sudo yum clean dbcache (probably redundant)

sudo yum update google-cloud-sdk (this took a long time)

sudo yum update (update all the other pieces)

After this everything was happy!



No comments: