Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Problems with P2V of a physical server

The Server is a fully patched 2003 Server. P2V should be working, everything is full 1GB, all drives are NTFS, nothing funny. I'm doing this all hot by the way, no cold booting, its a production server with no downtime allowed. Each P2V attempt died near the end, it takes several hours, so I was never watching exactly when it died. Checking the logs on the client at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Converter Enterprise\Logs\vmware-converter-agent-2.log . Shows me the error :

"Image processing task has failed with PlatformError fault: (1117) The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.".

Obviously this indicates an I/O error. After some searching I found an interesting fact, if you maintain the size of the original drive the P2V or "import machine" will do a block level copy, and if there are bad blocks, then you can get this error. So if you change the destination drive size, it does a file level copy instead. There is a chance that this server's hard drive has bad blocks, but honestly I don't know. It's an old server, that's why i'm P2Ving it. After making a change to the destination partition size, this fixed my issue and the P2V was finally sucessful.

FYI, this was all done with the latest software, ESX 4.0U1, VC 4U1, etc...

No comments: